Olly’s Mulled Wines—
It’s that time of year for deliciously warming boozy treats and Olly has the perfect recipes for his own mulled wine – red and white and a special mulled cider.
Here are his recipes – time to get brewing!
OLLY’S MULLED RED
1 bottle of Red Wine
1 x cinammon stick
1 x star anise
Half an orange studded with 3 cloves
1 x vanilla pod halved lengthways
100ml fresh orange juice (no bits)
100g dark brown muscovado sugar
1. Pour the orange juice and sugar into a pan and stir. Warm until they are fully blended.
2. Add the cinnamon stick, star anise, half orange studded with cloves, vanilla pod and leave to infuse for a minute.
3. Add the bottle of red wine and port and warm gently for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the orange and spices and serve warm
OLLY’S WARMING WHITE
1 bottle of White Wine
A slice of fresh pineapple
A lemon wedge
100g white sugar
1 tablespoon runny honey
1 x cinammon stick
100 ml fresh pineapple juice
1. Put the pineapple juice and sugar into a pan and stir. Warm until they are fully blended.
2. Add the cinnamon stick, lemon wedge, runny honey and slice of fresh pineapple and leave to infuse for a minute.
3. Add the bottle of white wine and warm gently for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the fruit and spices and serve warm
OLLY’S MULLED CIDER – serves 2 -4
200ml fresh apple juice
1 x lemon and ginger herbal tea bag
1 x cinnamon stick
1 x heaped tablespoon muscovado dark brown sugar
Half an orange studded with 3-4 cloves
1. Pour the apple juice and sugar into a pan and stir. Warm together until they are fully blended.
2. Add the cinnamon stick and the half orange studded with cloves.
3. Then add the cider and cointreau and warm gently.
4. Put in the lemon & ginger teabag and leave to infuse for 2 minutes and then remove.
5. Warm, not boil for 10 min so all flavours infuse.
6. Serve warm.
NB Please do not boil the drinks, this will make the spices bitter and you lose the booze!
If pre-preparing, remove spices and fruit and keep warm